*Comparisons and Reviews

Thursday 13 July 2017

Retinoiding. The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%. Review.







I think when most people hear the word retinol or retinoid, they either don't know what that is or they immediately think "major extreme harsh anti-ageing skin treatment". It's true with the prescription creams. However, there seems to be trend happening at the moment where major skincare brands are looking into making the vitamin A products as mild and non-irritating as possible while still delivering the results.

Human psychology is a funny thing though. I had a friend saying that she didn't like the Ordinary because she felt that it didn't do anything. I kind of felt the same thing about The Ordinary's The Buffet serum because there was no immediate effect. So how do we know that it works? With harsh retinoid products we see peeling and irritation and then the skin seems really great which is exciting and obviously we see the reaction which means it's working. With gentle retinoids there is no reaction, the skin looks alright all the time.

That's how I felt when I started using The Ordinary retinoid serum. I would use it every other night, avoiding using acids at the same time and would apply calming face oil afterwards. And it was alright, the serum was of pleasant milky consistency and my skin felt comfortable and slightly glowy right after the application. No irritation, redness or peeling at all.


I decided to use this serum every night for a week just to see if I notice any difference. And actually, I did. My skin is dryish-dehydrated but also prone to congestion, so I tend to use acids a lot to help with it. In the week of my retinoid use, I avoided using acids which usually help me with congestion. Still, I would always wake up with a smooth skin and by the end of the week I that my skin texture changed slightly and got smoother. I had zero spots the whole week. This is not atypical but I do get a spot from time to time.

Anti-ageing properties? Probably there are some. Try it for yourself with no fear and see. It's only £8.00. No cream will help deep wrinkles but continuous use may help to prevent some. Make sure to wear sunscreen!

All in all, I enjoyed using The Ordinary's Advanced 2% Retinoid and will continue using it. Seeing as this is the first retinoid product I have used, I will be interested to try some others and compare. But I will be sticking to the gentle ones.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig